The Tatra Museum is one of the oldest regional museums in Poland. In 1888, a group of friends and supporters of Dr Titus Chałubiński founded the Tatra Museum Society, which in the same year opened the first exhibition.
The headquarters of the newly created museum became the house of Jan Krzeptowski at Krupówki, approximately where the headquarters of the Industrial and Commercial Bank are based today. The first curator of the Tatra Museum of Dr Tytus Chałubiński was the secretary of the Climate Committee, teacher Władysław Roszek.
The museum has the largest specialist library, holding books and press publications on the Tatra and Podtatra, Polish and Slovak, as well as an archive, which is an unlimited source of information for hundreds of researchers in this region.
In accordance with the concept of a scattered museum, which has been promoted for some time, the management of the Zakopane institution supervises dozens of historic buildings in Podhale, as well as outside. Many institutions operate under the Tatra Museum company - from the tiny Uprising Museum of 1846 in Chochołów to the Tetmajer Manor in Łopuszna, through branches in Zakopane and in Spisz.
The most visited branches of the Tatra Museum are the Museum of the Zakopane Style in the villa "Koliba" (ul. Kościeliska 18), Władysław Hasior Gallery (ul. Jagiellońska 18b) and the Kornel Makuszyński Museum - "Opolanka" (ul. Tetmajera 15)